2007년 6월 2일 토요일

Seeking Justice (Career Essay)

“It’s not necessarily about what career you pick. It’s about how you do what you do” (Doctorow). When we think about future careers, what are the most important factors to consider? Is it money, fame, or what? There are so many different kinds of jobs in the world. As a freshman in high school, I need to think about my future careers and decide on a brief area of subjects I want to study. “When I grow up, I want to become…” statement have changed a lot over time as I got to have a broader view of the world. In order to produce a higher quality of work, you have to be well-suited to it, so it is very important to choose the right career. Well, as I got to take aptitude tests from “The Occupation Finder “from Holland, and had researched the jobs that are at my priorities, I became confident that I was to become a lawyer.

Things that I am skilled at had dramatically affected my choice of future career. I do several activities such as forensics, where I have to overcome the fear of public speaking. I voice my opinions well, and can argue against people keenly. I have debated a lot with other students and had won several times, which tells me that I can do a good job at a court, since “…they represent one of the parties in criminal and civil trials by presenting evidence and arguing in court to support their client” (Lawyers). I am athletic to be able to play such many sports. This means that I wouldn’t be exhausted easily and can work for a really long time. “…Lawyers often work long hours, and of those who regularly work full time, about half work 50 hours or more per week” (Lawyers). The thing I am best at is being able to be comfortable with anyone so that I can discuss the case of the court without any problems. But, should I have chosen a job I enjoy but not that good at, or a job I don’t really enjoy but still good at?

I fit to be a lawyer because I am a person who always fights for justice. Wherever I see actions of immorality or hear about the news of crimes, I cannot hide my anger. I also love to help my friends who need help. Since I can be comfortable with anyone, no matter who they are, I can be a great help. “…even among strangers (on an airplane, in line at the grocery store, in a doctor’s waiting room), they will strike up a conversation and chat pleasantly about any concrete topic that comes to mind” (Keirsey 6). People say that I am the one to talk to and smile whenever they are depressed. I really like to write reports and present them to class, which means that I will report the result of a certain case or what had been going on well, when I become a lawyer. I want to be a perfectionist and want to be able to show it off. However, if I turn out to have many flaws, I would never speak about it again due to shamefulness.

When I am choosing a job, there are the three priorities and they are really important to me; lawyer fit them all. First, I have to feel good about myself. I want to enjoy and have fun for what I am doing also. When I protect an innocent person at the court, or send a crucial criminal to jail, I would really feel good about myself. “… I feel really good about myself and sometimes blessed when I win a case at a court…” (Shin). Next, I have to be successful. To fit into a society and be with respectful people, I, myself, need to be as successful as them. Everything follows after success. Last, I want to make a good amount of money, and the “…highest salaries of lawyers 9 months after graduation from law school is $126,250” (Lawyers). With money, I can do anything I want to do and get to have more life-time opportunities.

Becoming a lawyer is a difficult decision because it is a pretty harsh path for me to walk on in the near future. To become a lawyer, I need to study really hard, and memorize many things since you need to know the laws clearly. Also, it takes a long time to become a lawyer because you need to study at colleges or universities for many years. “… It took me ten years to finish all the studies I had to do before I became one of the lawyers…” (Shin). Plus, there is a final test for me to take before I can be a professionally qualified lawyer. “All States require that applicants for admission to the bar pass a written bar examination; most States also require applicants to pass a separate written ethics examination. To qualify for the bar examination in most States, an applicant usually must earn a college degree and a graduate from a law school accredited by the American bas Association or the proper state authorities. ABA accreditation signifies that the law school-particularly its library and faculty-meets certain standards developed to promote quality legal education” (Lawyers).

I will be a lawyer although I am not really sure if this is a job for me. I don’t like to memorize and am not good at it either, but I just love justice. I can work connected to criminals, and can work with laws. I can also help people who need my help but have no money. The only thing I am worried about is that I have weak emotional feelings. “They can be crushed by personal criticism, and will function effectively only when appreciated both for themselves and for the abundant services they give to others” (Keirsey 7). I would have to overcome this to become a good lawyer. To find the greatest job for me, I will not stop here. I will keep on researching for my future possible careers, and I am confident that one day, I will be happy for what I am doing as an individual adult, working for myself and the society’s justice.

Citations:
Doctorow, Cory. Someone Comes To Town, Someone Leaves Town. U.S.A.: Penguin Books Company, 2005.
Holland, John L. The Occupation Finder. Lutz: Psychological Assessment Resources, Inc., 2000
Holland, John L. Assessment Booklet: A Guide to Educational and Career Planning. Lutz: Psychological Assessment Resources, Inc., 1994.
Keirsey, David. Please Understand Me II. Del Mar, CA: Prometheus Nemesis Book Company, 1998
"Lawyers." Occupational Outlook Handbook. August 4, 2006. U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. 6 Mar 2007
Shin, Hyung-chul. E-mail interview. 17 Mar. 2007.

댓글 없음: